<$BlogMetaData$>

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Love, ME.

Ever since I came to Singapore, I tend to have widen my music horizon and came to know country music too. Though I like country mainly because of the stories they tell in their song, I wasn't really much into it until a friend introduced me to the music of Collin Raye. Like Garth Brooks and Tim McGraw, Raye was a hitmaker in the US, though most of his hits were in the nineties, and the only one I think that you people heard of him was that he's the duet partner of Anne Cochran in Jim Brickman's The Gift, a huge hit in the Philippines back in the late 90's.

But there's a lot to like on this man's music than just that song. Even Ronan Keating liked his song so much that he decided to remake "In this Life" whic hwas originally sang by Raye.

Though I like most of his songs, like "I wish I could" which tells a father's point of view of how fast his child grows and wanted to protect her from life's pain though he knew he couldn't; or "In this Life" which narrates how loving someone is a gift and should never be regretted; or the destiny-like song "One boy, One Girl".

But I guess the song that made an impact to me most was "Love, Me." A song about a single note that has become an anthem of love from youth to greying, and even after death. You can view the music video if you want to really understand what I'm saying. And below it is the lyrics of the song. The video doesn't really relate so much on the song so you can just play it and read the lyrics as it goes. :)

For slower connections, pause the player just after you press play. Let it load first (for around a minute) and play after.



Love, Me
(Collin Raye)

I read a note my Grandma wrote back in 1923

Grandpa kept it in his coat, and he showed it once to me
He said, "Boy, you might not understand, but a long, long time ago,
Grandma's daddy didn't like me none, but I love your Grandma so.

We had this crazy plan to meet and run away together
Get married in the first town we came to and live forever
But nailed to the tree where we were supposed to meet instead
I found this letter, and this is what it said :

"If you get there before I do
Don't give up on me
I'll meet you when my chores are through
I don't know how long I'll be

But I'm not gonna let you down
Darling wait and see
And between now and then
Til I see you again
I'll be loving you

Love,
Me."

I read those words just hours before my Grandma passed away
In the doorway of the church where me and Grandpa stopped to pray
I know I've never seen him cry in all my fifteen years
But as he said these words to her, his eyes fill up with tears

"If you get there before I do
Don't give up on me
I'll meet you when my chores are through
I don't know how long I'll be

But I'm not gonna let you down
Darling wait and see
And between now and then
Til I see you again
I'll be loving you...

Love,
Me."