<$BlogMetaData$>

Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Quest for Visual Poetry

Realization is amusing. It's the shift of thought from the present into the more "higher" level of thinking, analyzing from the facts and conditions that has been going on so far, and evaluate them to make an assessment for future references and goals. It's this phenomenon that make brides run away before their weddings, or make someone miss his flight to do something important-- or foolish.

I was in the Esplanade last weekend, and in the 3 pm sun was busy taking snapshots with my camera. But while taking shots after shots after shots, it dawned on me: I wasn't really satisfied with what I do. I was not happy. I mean, not with the pictures I was taking, since I know it's pretty descent even to the trained eye. What I meant is that I woke up to the realization that I was doing what most of the photographers there doing-- taking photographs of the surrounding nice views and the magnificent towering buildings afar. Is this really I wanted to do? I guess it was the artist in me shouting within the deep corners of my brain, or rather more like an awakening from the constant insinuation of the devil (the somewhat opposite to the guardian angel, get me?)in your head.

I stopped. And I looked at the number of people taking snapshots after snapshots, from the one with the most mediocre camera to the one with the most high- end, state-of-the- art equipment. Though the result will differ (there's a dramatic difference), they will still end up taking the same pictures. Like the ones i took. And that made my intentions cold.

I went home--frustrated. I need to find a better focus on what I will do with the lens. I guess I've been too preoccupied by the beautiful and colourful pictures of the magazines and tutorials I read and learned from that I forgot what I really want to do with it.

I know I have to went on with the camera, but it would be different now. And when I post photographs again in here, it's because it is ME and it mirrors my emotions. Not because I wanted it to end up in some magazine covers or travel brochures or on-line photo polls. It would be there because like drawing or painting, it will be just another unique expression of unverbalized feelings. A fresh breath from the soul. A primal manifestation of outlook and mindset that are unexplainable in any given language.

Labels: , ,