<$BlogMetaData$>

Friday, September 15, 2006

Of Football and Rockstars

For the past two days there has been a television feast for me, waking at the wee hours of the morning just to watch Champions League football live. Arsenal was less impressive with their goal-less draw against CSKA Moscow while Real Madrid was hammered 2-0 by French champion Lyon.

Also, it was the season finale of ROCKSTAR: SUPERNOVA, the worldwide search for the lead singer of the new band who comprises rock greats Gilby Clarke(of Guns N' Roses fame), Jason Newstead(Former Metallica bassist) and Tommy Lee(drummer of Motley Crue and the controversial ex-husband of Pamela Anderson).


In the end, there can only be one. and it was Lukas Rossi(above), the Canadian goth-punk looking youngster whose stage charisma and voice versatility I can only compare to Axl Rose.

Though I was glad for Lukas' triumph, my personal favourite was really Ryan Starr. Too bad he was booted out from the competition two weeks ago. Yet, market-wise, Lukas seems to be a great choice for the band since he is young and so versatile, and he appeals more to his age group better than the other constestants. Especially that Gilby and co. are already in their middle years and the fans who used to idolize them as gods are now mostly parents, who prefers making a living more than head banging and rocking hard.

I can't wait for these guys to hit Asia, where Singapore is always a route. I had a rocking good time watching INXS and JD Fortune two months ago and i'd bet my socks off that this will offer a better pill for a rock man's soul. Now i'd have to go start bribing my wife so I will be permitted. :)

Below is Lukas' version of HERO in the show. For me the strongest performance of the guy I've ever seen.